Hasset Brothers Lead Glastonbury to Semifinals

GLASTONBURY- The Glastonbury Tomahawks are going to the Class LL Boy’s Soccer Tournament semifinals due in large part to the play of brothers Evan and Brock Hasset.  The brothers had a hand in all three of fourth seeded Glastonbury’s 3-2 overtime victory over the visiting twenty-one seed Danbury Hatters.

“The brother to brother combination is very cool,” Brock Hasset said of his older brother Evan.  “Whenever I get the ball, something inside me always says to look to him.”

The Hatters (7-4-8), who advanced to the quarterfinals after beating the twelve seed Stamford and the five seed Fairfield-Ludlowe, got off to a quick start scoring four minutes into the game on a dribbler off the foot of Edison Matute that slipped under the hands of diving Glastonbury keeper Chase Conway.

Glastonbury (15-1-3) struck back with 14:23 left in the first on a goal from senior Evan Hasset.  Hasset then saluted the Glastonbury student section before celebrating his goal with teammates.

“They are the twelfth man on the field,” the older Hasset said of the student section.  “They keep us rolling and fire us up.”

Visiting Danbury proved to be very resilient as they answered Evan Hasset’s goal almost immediately.  Junior Esteban Vasquez set up his teammate, Ruben Martinho, for a goal with 10:40 left in the half to reclaim the lead for the Hatters.

Danbury would take a 2-1 lead into halftime.

“I thought we played with a lot of heart and determination against a team that is incredibly skilled,” Danbury head coach Sean Colley said of his team’s performance.

Both teams became increasingly more physical in the second half as five yellow cards had to be handed out by the official.

“It got pretty chippy in the second half,” Glastonbury senior Evan Grenus said of the physical play from both squads.  “It was a very physical game.”

Even the Glastonbury student section directly impacted the game, as the official had to stop play for nearly three minutes in the second half to ask the Glastonbury High fans to back-up off the field.

Grenus tied the game up for the Tomahawks with 31:24 left in the second half off an assist from Evan Hasset.  Danbury Keeper Ian Shannon would have to be replaced by Sean Feibusch due to an injury following the goal.

“He landed awkwardly on his shoulder and had to come out,” Colley said of his starting keeper, but added, “Our backup played excellent.”

Indeed, Feibusch was able to keep the Tomahawks off the board for the remainder of the second half as the game went into overtime.

It didn’t take long for the Younger Hasset to leave his mark on the game in overtime.

With 2:38 left in the first overtime, sophomore Brock Hasset was able to deliver the deciding goal in Glastonbury’s 3-2 victory.

“I can’t say enough about the will of our kids to compete,” Glastonbury head coach Mark Landers said of his team.  “We knew coming in that this was going to be a dog fight.”

“We battled and battled, but unfortunately we didn’t execute properly,” Colley said.  “I am proud of my team.”

The Tomahawks, who secured their spot in the quarterfinals with wins over  (29) Hamden and (20)Fairfield-Warde in overtime will face the top seed Greenwich in the Semifinals.

“Last year we lost in the first round,” Grenus said, “So this year it’s for the fans.”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *